Vermont Law School teacher named new judgeStaff Report | November 20,2012MONTPELIER — Vermont Law School adjunct professor Kevin Griffin, of Norwich, will serve as a Superior Court judge assigned to Chittenden County.
Gov. Peter Shumlin announced the appointment Monday.
“Kevin’s extensive litigation background in family and criminal law, as well as his 15 years on the local school board and other civic contributions, ensure he brings broad experience to the court,” Shumlin said in a statement. “His intelligence, compassion and firm sense of fairness will make him a strong addition to the judiciary.”
Griffin has owned the White River Junction-based law firm Griffin, Marsicovetere & Wilkes, PC since 1993. His practice has involved criminal defense, including work as a public defender on serious felonies, family law and some general civil litigation.
He was a clerk to Justice William Hill of the Vermont Supreme Court.
He has been an adjunct professor at Vermont Law School since 1986 and has taught courses related to trial practice and criminal law and procedure.
In addition to serving on legal committees, Griffin served on the Ottauquechee Health Center board in the mid-1990s and is a board member of the Hartford Dismas House.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.