Evelyn GudelisNovember 23,2012
Evelyn GudelisEvelyn Gudelis
SUNDERLAND ó Evelyn Gudelis, 80, formerly of Sunderland Hill Road, passed away November 19, 2012, at Life Care Center of Hendersonville, North Carolina. Evelyn was born in New York City on April 1, 1932, the daughter of Henry and Eva Groskinsky. She was educated in New York City schools, graduating from Parsons School of Design. She married Frank Gudelis on April 19, 1952. Evelyn and Frank retired to Vermont in 1981, buying a run-down, 250-year-old farmhouse. Through her vision, determination and drive, they opened Evelynís Bed & Breakfast, running it for several years. Evelyn was an accomplished seamstress, winning several medals at the Hildene competitions. Her hand-sewn quilts will be passed down for generations to come.
Evelyn is survived by her children, Barbara Morris and her husband Edward of Flat Rock, North Carolina, Kathryn MacArthur and her husband David of Litchfield, New Hampshire, Mary Hawks of Boca Raton, Florida, and Jim Gudelis and his wife Bobbie of Rutland, Vermont; her brother, Henry Groskinsky and his wife Alma of Holbrook, New York; her grandchildren, Emily Hensarling, Matthew Morris, Elisabeth Slaton, Kevin and Diana MacArthur, Gus Stavrakis and Bryan and Jaymie Gudelis; and her great-granddaughter, Sophia. She was preceded in death by her husband, Frank.
Funeral services for Evelyn will be held Tuesday, November 27, 2012, at 1 p.m. at Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home Arlington Chapel, Historic Route 7A, Arlington, Vermont. Interment will follow in the family lot in Ira Allen Cemetery in Sunderland. A visiting hour will be held at the funeral home Tuesday, November 27, 2012, from 12-1 p.m., one hour prior to the service. If friends desire, memorial gifts in Evelynís memory may be made to the Second Chance Animal Shelter, c/o Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home Arlington Chapel, PO Box 528, Arlington, VT 05250. To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Hanson-Walbridge & Shea Funeral Home Arlington Chapel, Historic Route 7A, Arlington, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.