Woman accused of embezzling from WalmartNovember 24,2012BENNINGTON — A Benmont Avenue woman was charged with a felony count of embezzlement this week after police said she had taken about $1,000 in cash and merchandise while working at the Walmart in Bennington between July and October.
Kimberly A. Young, 26, of Bennington, pleaded innocent this week to the single charge in Bennington criminal court. Young was released without bail.
In an affidavit, Cpl. Christopher Lauzon of the Bennington Police Department said he met with Chris Colehamer, asset protection manager at the local Walmart on Oct. 8. Colehamer told police that Young, who worked at the store, admitted to taking items like cigarettes, food and money.
On Oct. 19, Lauzon reviewed video surveillance footage from the store. Lauzon said he saw instances of Young taking items on different occasions from Sept. 2 to Oct. 17.
In a statement, Colehamer said he began investigating Young after she was short $40 in her register on Sept. 30. After watching her for several weeks, Colehamer said he had evidence she took cash and merchandise worth $1,001.19.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.