At age 14, I had the dubious distinction of being expelled from the Woodstock Country School for smoking cigarettes. My classmate Larry Hagman said, “We can’t let him go alone,” then escorted me to the train in White River Junction.
Later in life, while on business in California, I called him, somehow getting through a complicated screening system. He picked up the phone, and we talked about our time together. Only then, did I find out that Larry was expelled a few weeks after I left.
The article in the Nov. 25 Rutland Herald regarding Hagman bought back warm memories of this big-hearted guy.
BomoseenMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Burlington, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires six shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Who will run for mayor in Rutland next year? Has Bennington overcome its fear of twerking? Documentary 'Hungry Heart' packs the Paramount, and the city's Creek Path scores another million-plus dollars.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: The 1509 'Lesser Judgment' earthquake on this day at Constantinople kills 13,000 and destroys the city; in 1801, on this day, Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is born.