Jail for West Rutland robberNovember 29,2012A St. Albans man convicted of robbing a pharmacy in West Rutland was sentenced to 40 months behind bars this week.
Christopher J. McCarthy, 43, pleaded guilty earlier this year to a federal charge of obstructing commerce by robbery.
On Monday, Judge Christina Reiss sentenced McCarthy to more than three years in jail followed by three years of supervised release. He must also pay $405 in restitution to Rite Aid.
McCarthy was arrested on Feb. 11 hours after he approached a clerk at the pharmacy and handed her a note that demanded prescription painkiller drugs and the promise that if the demands were met “no one will get hurt.”
In an interview with police, McCarthy said he was addicted to the drugs and robbed the pharmacy out of desperation.
McCarthy was originally charged in a Vermont court, but the state dismissed its charge against him in April to allow the federal charge to be brought.MORE IN This Just InBAGHDAD — Attacks across Iraq, including a series of bombings targeting shoppers in a Sunni... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.