Jail for West Rutland robberNovember 29,2012A St. Albans man convicted of robbing a pharmacy in West Rutland was sentenced to 40 months behind bars this week.
Christopher J. McCarthy, 43, pleaded guilty earlier this year to a federal charge of obstructing commerce by robbery.
On Monday, Judge Christina Reiss sentenced McCarthy to more than three years in jail followed by three years of supervised release. He must also pay $405 in restitution to Rite Aid.
McCarthy was arrested on Feb. 11 hours after he approached a clerk at the pharmacy and handed her a note that demanded prescription painkiller drugs and the promise that if the demands were met “no one will get hurt.”
In an interview with police, McCarthy said he was addicted to the drugs and robbed the pharmacy out of desperation.
McCarthy was originally charged in a Vermont court, but the state dismissed its charge against him in April to allow the federal charge to be brought.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.