Jail for West Rutland robberNovember 29,2012A St. Albans man convicted of robbing a pharmacy in West Rutland was sentenced to 40 months behind bars this week.
Christopher J. McCarthy, 43, pleaded guilty earlier this year to a federal charge of obstructing commerce by robbery.
On Monday, Judge Christina Reiss sentenced McCarthy to more than three years in jail followed by three years of supervised release. He must also pay $405 in restitution to Rite Aid.
McCarthy was arrested on Feb. 11 hours after he approached a clerk at the pharmacy and handed her a note that demanded prescription painkiller drugs and the promise that if the demands were met “no one will get hurt.”
In an interview with police, McCarthy said he was addicted to the drugs and robbed the pharmacy out of desperation.
McCarthy was originally charged in a Vermont court, but the state dismissed its charge against him in April to allow the federal charge to be brought.MORE IN This Just InA Rutland woman who spray painted a response to graffiti left outside her house was issued a... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?