Vt. muzzleloader deer season runs through Dec. 9December 02,2012MONTPELIER — The Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife says the state’s 9-day muzzle loading deer season is getting under way.
The muzzle loading season that begins Saturday and runs through Dec. 9 coincides with the state’s second archery hunting season.
The department says preliminary reports indicate that hunters are tagging heavy bucks with big antlers this year.
Archers may take antlerless deer during archery season in all but one of the state’s wildlife management units. The exception is what is known as WMU-E in the Northeast Kingdom.
Winners of the antlerless deer lottery may take one deer during the December muzzleloader season. Lottery winners are reminded that the orange postcard that was sent to them earlier this fall is their antlerless deer tag.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.