Merriom E. SpoffordDecember 03,2012
Merriom E. SpoffordMerriom E. Spofford
EAST DORSET — Merriom Elizabeth Spofford, 74, a resident of Brookside Drive in East Dorset, passed away Thursday, November 29, 2012, at the Centers For Living and Rehabilitation in Bennington. Merriom was born in Rutland, Vermont, on September 24, 1938, the daughter of Frank and Alice Read, Jr. She received her education in Manchester schools, graduating from Burr & Burton Seminary, class of 1956. Merriom attended Putnam Memorial Hospital School of Nursing where she earned her certificate as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Merriom worked for Putnam Memorial for 10 years and upon moving to Dorset, she worked as an LPN for the Dorset Nursing Association and private duty, retiring as administrative assistant for the Dorset Nursing Association. Merriom loved flowers, her home and cherished times spent with her family, especially her grandchildren. In her earlier years, she enjoyed playing golf and spent time as secretary and treasurer of the East Dorset Cemetery Association. She enjoyed listening to music and dancing the jitterbug. She enjoyed sports, especially following her sons while playing for Burr & Burton.
Merriom is survived by her husband, James, whom she married in East Dorset, Vermont, on October 31, 1959; her sons, Raymond James Spofford and his wife Sandra of East Palatka, Florida, and Steven John Spofford and his wife Megan of Wells, Maine; her grandchildren, Jacob, Noel and Ainsley Spofford and Katie Biddle and Chuck Lashinsky; and nieces, nephews and cousins.
A celebration of the life of Merriom Elizabeth Spofford will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012, at 12 noon at Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont. Interment will follow in the family lot in South Village Cemetery in East Dorset. Visiting hours at the funeral home will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012, from 11-12 noon, one hour prior to the service. If friends desire, memorial gifts in Merriom’s memory may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association or the Dorset Nursing Association, c/o Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, PO Box 885, Manchester Center, VT 05255. To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.