Merriom E. SpoffordDecember 03,2012
Merriom E. SpoffordMerriom E. Spofford
EAST DORSET — Merriom Elizabeth Spofford, 74, a resident of Brookside Drive in East Dorset, passed away Thursday, November 29, 2012, at the Centers For Living and Rehabilitation in Bennington. Merriom was born in Rutland, Vermont, on September 24, 1938, the daughter of Frank and Alice Read, Jr. She received her education in Manchester schools, graduating from Burr & Burton Seminary, class of 1956. Merriom attended Putnam Memorial Hospital School of Nursing where she earned her certificate as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Merriom worked for Putnam Memorial for 10 years and upon moving to Dorset, she worked as an LPN for the Dorset Nursing Association and private duty, retiring as administrative assistant for the Dorset Nursing Association. Merriom loved flowers, her home and cherished times spent with her family, especially her grandchildren. In her earlier years, she enjoyed playing golf and spent time as secretary and treasurer of the East Dorset Cemetery Association. She enjoyed listening to music and dancing the jitterbug. She enjoyed sports, especially following her sons while playing for Burr & Burton.
Merriom is survived by her husband, James, whom she married in East Dorset, Vermont, on October 31, 1959; her sons, Raymond James Spofford and his wife Sandra of East Palatka, Florida, and Steven John Spofford and his wife Megan of Wells, Maine; her grandchildren, Jacob, Noel and Ainsley Spofford and Katie Biddle and Chuck Lashinsky; and nieces, nephews and cousins.
A celebration of the life of Merriom Elizabeth Spofford will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012, at 12 noon at Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont. Interment will follow in the family lot in South Village Cemetery in East Dorset. Visiting hours at the funeral home will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012, from 11-12 noon, one hour prior to the service. If friends desire, memorial gifts in Merriom’s memory may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association or the Dorset Nursing Association, c/o Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, PO Box 885, Manchester Center, VT 05255. To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.