Merriom E. SpoffordDecember 03,2012
Merriom E. SpoffordMerriom E. Spofford
EAST DORSET — Merriom Elizabeth Spofford, 74, a resident of Brookside Drive in East Dorset, passed away Thursday, November 29, 2012, at the Centers For Living and Rehabilitation in Bennington. Merriom was born in Rutland, Vermont, on September 24, 1938, the daughter of Frank and Alice Read, Jr. She received her education in Manchester schools, graduating from Burr & Burton Seminary, class of 1956. Merriom attended Putnam Memorial Hospital School of Nursing where she earned her certificate as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Merriom worked for Putnam Memorial for 10 years and upon moving to Dorset, she worked as an LPN for the Dorset Nursing Association and private duty, retiring as administrative assistant for the Dorset Nursing Association. Merriom loved flowers, her home and cherished times spent with her family, especially her grandchildren. In her earlier years, she enjoyed playing golf and spent time as secretary and treasurer of the East Dorset Cemetery Association. She enjoyed listening to music and dancing the jitterbug. She enjoyed sports, especially following her sons while playing for Burr & Burton.
Merriom is survived by her husband, James, whom she married in East Dorset, Vermont, on October 31, 1959; her sons, Raymond James Spofford and his wife Sandra of East Palatka, Florida, and Steven John Spofford and his wife Megan of Wells, Maine; her grandchildren, Jacob, Noel and Ainsley Spofford and Katie Biddle and Chuck Lashinsky; and nieces, nephews and cousins.
A celebration of the life of Merriom Elizabeth Spofford will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012, at 12 noon at Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont. Interment will follow in the family lot in South Village Cemetery in East Dorset. Visiting hours at the funeral home will be held Wednesday, December 5, 2012, from 11-12 noon, one hour prior to the service. If friends desire, memorial gifts in Merriom’s memory may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association or the Dorset Nursing Association, c/o Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, PO Box 885, Manchester Center, VT 05255. To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
The family has entrusted arrangements to the care of Brewster & Shea Funeral Service, 34 Park Place, Manchester Center, Vermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.