Man charged in wheelchair skirmishDecember 03,2012ST. JOHNSBURY — A 71-year-old Vermont man is facing charges after allegedly trying to run down an elderly neighbor with his motorized wheelchair.
Gordon Kiefer of St. Johnsbury pleaded not guilty last week to a misdemeanor charge of violating an abuse prevention order.
The Caledonian-Record reported that 70-year-old Barbara Elzohairy told police that Kiefer came at her one afternoon last month while she was looking in a shoe store window on a downtown sidewalk. She said she jumped into a doorway to avoid being hit.
Elzohairy lives in the same downtown apartment building as Kiefer and has had a prevention from abuse order against him since June. She said this was the second time Kiefer had tried to hurt her with his wheelchair.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.