Man charged in wheelchair skirmishDecember 03,2012ST. JOHNSBURY — A 71-year-old Vermont man is facing charges after allegedly trying to run down an elderly neighbor with his motorized wheelchair.
Gordon Kiefer of St. Johnsbury pleaded not guilty last week to a misdemeanor charge of violating an abuse prevention order.
The Caledonian-Record reported that 70-year-old Barbara Elzohairy told police that Kiefer came at her one afternoon last month while she was looking in a shoe store window on a downtown sidewalk. She said she jumped into a doorway to avoid being hit.
Elzohairy lives in the same downtown apartment building as Kiefer and has had a prevention from abuse order against him since June. She said this was the second time Kiefer had tried to hurt her with his wheelchair.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.