Man charged in wheelchair skirmishDecember 03,2012ST. JOHNSBURY — A 71-year-old Vermont man is facing charges after allegedly trying to run down an elderly neighbor with his motorized wheelchair.
Gordon Kiefer of St. Johnsbury pleaded not guilty last week to a misdemeanor charge of violating an abuse prevention order.
The Caledonian-Record reported that 70-year-old Barbara Elzohairy told police that Kiefer came at her one afternoon last month while she was looking in a shoe store window on a downtown sidewalk. She said she jumped into a doorway to avoid being hit.
Elzohairy lives in the same downtown apartment building as Kiefer and has had a prevention from abuse order against him since June. She said this was the second time Kiefer had tried to hurt her with his wheelchair.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.