Man charged in wheelchair skirmishDecember 03,2012ST. JOHNSBURY — A 71-year-old Vermont man is facing charges after allegedly trying to run down an elderly neighbor with his motorized wheelchair.
Gordon Kiefer of St. Johnsbury pleaded not guilty last week to a misdemeanor charge of violating an abuse prevention order.
The Caledonian-Record reported that 70-year-old Barbara Elzohairy told police that Kiefer came at her one afternoon last month while she was looking in a shoe store window on a downtown sidewalk. She said she jumped into a doorway to avoid being hit.
Elzohairy lives in the same downtown apartment building as Kiefer and has had a prevention from abuse order against him since June. She said this was the second time Kiefer had tried to hurt her with his wheelchair.MORE IN This Just InBAGHDAD — Attacks across Iraq, including a series of bombings targeting shoppers in a Sunni... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.