Man charged in wheelchair skirmishDecember 03,2012ST. JOHNSBURY — A 71-year-old Vermont man is facing charges after allegedly trying to run down an elderly neighbor with his motorized wheelchair.
Gordon Kiefer of St. Johnsbury pleaded not guilty last week to a misdemeanor charge of violating an abuse prevention order.
The Caledonian-Record reported that 70-year-old Barbara Elzohairy told police that Kiefer came at her one afternoon last month while she was looking in a shoe store window on a downtown sidewalk. She said she jumped into a doorway to avoid being hit.
Elzohairy lives in the same downtown apartment building as Kiefer and has had a prevention from abuse order against him since June. She said this was the second time Kiefer had tried to hurt her with his wheelchair.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?