Flags to fly at half staff in honor of Vt lawmakerThe Associated Press | December 04,2012MONTPELIER — Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin has ordered flags to be lowered to half staff today in honor of a state lawmaker who was killed when he was hit by a car.
A memorial service also will be held at 2 p.m. today for Rep. Gregory Clark, of Vergennes, at the Vergennes Congregational Church.
State Police said the 65-year-old Republican lawmaker was killed Friday morning when he was hit by a car along U.S. Route 7 in Waltham.
Police said Clark was driving south when he stopped at the edge of the highway to clear his windshield. Clark pulled partly onto the shoulder of the road, but he was hit by another southbound vehicle while he was outside his car.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — U.S. Sen. Full StoryAUGUSTA, Maine — FairPoint worker Jeff Dorn has already told his children that Christmas is going... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.