Mary M. HallarDecember 08,2012
Mary M. HallarMary M. Hallar
GRANVILLE, N.Y. — Mary M. “Mamie” Hallar, 89, a longtime resident of Granville, N.Y., passed away Dec. 3, 2012, at Pleasant Valley, following a long illness.
Born August 31, 1923, in Hampton, N.Y., she was the daughter of the late Alex and Helen Felisco Zidovsky.
Mamie graduated from Granville Central School where she met her husband, Michael Hallar.
In addition to her parents, Mamie was predeceased by her husband, Mike, brother, Michael Zidovsky, sister, Helen Gilbert and son-in-law Norman Williams.
Survivors include three children, Mary Ellen Williams of Greenwich, N.Y.; Michael Hallar (Melanie) of East Greenbush, N.Y., grandson, Joseph Hallar of Sugar Hill, GA; Mark Hallar (Cheri) of White House, TN, and granddaughters Megan Hallar of Chattanooga, TN, and Clara Jane Hallar of Westminster College, Utah; sisters, Susan Crouse of Middle Granville, and Katherine Colvin of Poultney, VT, sister-in-law, Mary Molnar of Bethlehem, PA; plus several nieces and nephews.
Mamie retired after 22 years at General Electric in Fort Edward.
An avid reader, she enjoyed serving on the Pember Library Board for several years and enjoyed traveling across the U.S. and Europe.
Friends may call from 4 to 7 p.m. on Sunday, December 16, 2012, at the Robert M. King Funeral Home, 23 Church St., Granville. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Monday, Dec. 17, 2012, at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, 23 Bulkley Ave., Granville, at 11 a.m., presided over by Fr. Joseph Arockiasamy.
Those who wish to remember Mamie in a special way may make memorial contributions to The Pember Library, 33 W. Main St., Granville, NY, or Hayne’s House of Hope, 7187 SR 149, Granville, NY 12832, in lieu of flowers.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?