Mom gives birth at zooDecember 09,2012SYRACUSE, N.Y. — A Syracuse zoo got a surprise visit from the stork.
A pregnant mother gave birth on a wildlife path at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo on Friday, delivering her baby girl with the help of zookeepers not far from the bear exhibit.
Zoo educator Liz Schmidt told The Post-Standard, of Syracuse, that she rushed over from the reindeer pen to find the 21-year-old woman pushing the baby out.
Other zoo workers arrived with blankets to keep mom and baby warm.
The zoo’s elephant expert herded away curious zoo patrons.
An ambulance soon arrived to take the newborn to a hospital.
Zoo Director Ted Fox said the zoo plans to send a gift to the family.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!