Mom gives birth at zooDecember 09,2012SYRACUSE, N.Y. — A Syracuse zoo got a surprise visit from the stork.
A pregnant mother gave birth on a wildlife path at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo on Friday, delivering her baby girl with the help of zookeepers not far from the bear exhibit.
Zoo educator Liz Schmidt told The Post-Standard, of Syracuse, that she rushed over from the reindeer pen to find the 21-year-old woman pushing the baby out.
Other zoo workers arrived with blankets to keep mom and baby warm.
The zoo’s elephant expert herded away curious zoo patrons.
An ambulance soon arrived to take the newborn to a hospital.
Zoo Director Ted Fox said the zoo plans to send a gift to the family.MORE IN News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Gas Systems puts Phase 2 on hold as the latest estimate for Phase 1 takes a 27 percent leap upward, to a total of $157 million; U.S. Attorney Tristram Coffin quits for job with private firm; police cite man in pot bust.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Christmas bombing of North Vietnam ordered by President Richard Nixon, most lethal strikes of the war; in 1989, U.S. invades Panama to depose, arrest and charge Gen. Manuel Noriega with drug trafficking, racketeering.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.