Mom gives birth at zooDecember 09,2012SYRACUSE, N.Y. — A Syracuse zoo got a surprise visit from the stork.
A pregnant mother gave birth on a wildlife path at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo on Friday, delivering her baby girl with the help of zookeepers not far from the bear exhibit.
Zoo educator Liz Schmidt told The Post-Standard, of Syracuse, that she rushed over from the reindeer pen to find the 21-year-old woman pushing the baby out.
Other zoo workers arrived with blankets to keep mom and baby warm.
The zoo’s elephant expert herded away curious zoo patrons.
An ambulance soon arrived to take the newborn to a hospital.
Zoo Director Ted Fox said the zoo plans to send a gift to the family.MORE IN News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation