• Driver acquitted in NY crash case
    December 09,2012
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    NEW YORK — A tour bus driver who prosecutors said was all but asleep at the wheel was acquitted Friday of manslaughter and negligent homicide in a crash last year that killed 15 gamblers on their way from a Connecticut casino to New York City.

    Ophadell Williams was found guilty on one count of aggravated unlicensed driving.

    Williams wept and covered his face with his hands as the verdict was read. On the count which he was found guilty, the judge sentenced him to 30 days in prison, which he has served. He also was ordered to pay a fee of $500.

    Williams argued throughout the trial that he had been awake and alert, and he said the crash was not the result of reckless behavior or extreme exhaustion. He said a tractor-trailer cut him off, causing him to swerve and hit a guardrail. But investigators could find no indication that had occurred.

    His lawyer had said he was wracked with guilt over the crash — but not guilty of manslaughter.

    “It happened as a motor vehicle accident, not as some crime,” said Williams’ lawyer, Patrick Bruno. “He tried to avoid tragedy, and tragedy occurred.”
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    MORE IN Wire News
    BAGHDAD — Iraqi forces battled Islamic State militants for a third day on Tuesday in a remote... Full Story
    Iraqi forces fight far from Mosul
    INDIANAPOLIS — A data analysis firm hired by a voter registration group said on Tuesday that... Full Story
    Voter group says dead people likely registered
    SAN FRANCISCO — A federal judge approved the largest auto-scandal settlement in U.S. Full Story
    Anger still flares after judge OKs Volkswagen emissions deal
    More Articles