State plans lottery for firewood lotsDecember 09,2012State plans lottery
for firewood lots
WATERBURY — Vermonters will have a chance to cut their own firewood from state forests.
This year, roadside lots are available in Plymouth, Shrewsbury, North Duxbury, Orange, Roxbury, Johnson, Groton, and Westmore.
The lottery for the “cut-your-own” lots opens on Jan. 2 and ends Jan. 18.
Lottery winners pay $30 for a lot that yields about three cords of wood from trees marked for removal. The firewood is suitable for the 2013 home heating season.
Lottery winners will be notified in March.
Registrations are available at the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation website at www.vtpr.org or call 241-3678 for more information.MORE IN This Just InBig movie day at Town Hall Theater Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.