State plans lottery for firewood lotsDecember 09,2012State plans lottery
for firewood lots
WATERBURY — Vermonters will have a chance to cut their own firewood from state forests.
This year, roadside lots are available in Plymouth, Shrewsbury, North Duxbury, Orange, Roxbury, Johnson, Groton, and Westmore.
The lottery for the “cut-your-own” lots opens on Jan. 2 and ends Jan. 18.
Lottery winners pay $30 for a lot that yields about three cords of wood from trees marked for removal. The firewood is suitable for the 2013 home heating season.
Lottery winners will be notified in March.
Registrations are available at the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation website at www.vtpr.org or call 241-3678 for more information.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?