State plans lottery for firewood lotsDecember 09,2012State plans lottery
for firewood lots
WATERBURY — Vermonters will have a chance to cut their own firewood from state forests.
This year, roadside lots are available in Plymouth, Shrewsbury, North Duxbury, Orange, Roxbury, Johnson, Groton, and Westmore.
The lottery for the “cut-your-own” lots opens on Jan. 2 and ends Jan. 18.
Lottery winners pay $30 for a lot that yields about three cords of wood from trees marked for removal. The firewood is suitable for the 2013 home heating season.
Lottery winners will be notified in March.
Registrations are available at the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation website at www.vtpr.org or call 241-3678 for more information.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.