State plans lottery for firewood lotsDecember 09,2012State plans lottery
for firewood lots
WATERBURY — Vermonters will have a chance to cut their own firewood from state forests.
This year, roadside lots are available in Plymouth, Shrewsbury, North Duxbury, Orange, Roxbury, Johnson, Groton, and Westmore.
The lottery for the “cut-your-own” lots opens on Jan. 2 and ends Jan. 18.
Lottery winners pay $30 for a lot that yields about three cords of wood from trees marked for removal. The firewood is suitable for the 2013 home heating season.
Lottery winners will be notified in March.
Registrations are available at the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation website at www.vtpr.org or call 241-3678 for more information.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.