Gary F. ServissDecember 11,2012
Gary F. ServissGary F. Serviss
Gary Francis Serviss, 73, of Rutland, died Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012, at the Rutland Regional Medical Center.
He was born on October 18, 1939, in Rutland, the son of Margaret Serviss.
He graduated from Rutland High School in 1958, and then served in the U.S. Air Force until 1962, mostly in Alaska.
Mr. Serviss began working in the family business, Serviss Mattress and Upholstery, and later owned his own company named Gary’s Upholstery.
He was a member of the United Methodist Church, American Legion Post 31 and the Eagles, all of Rutland.
Mr. Serviss enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren, travelling with family and friends, meeting with his fellow classmates, do-it-yourself projects, and the companionship of his beloved golden lab retrievers, Cynnamon and Sara.
Survivors include his son, Joseph C. Serviss, of Rutland; his fiancée, Jennifer Churchill, of Canaan, N.H.; grandchildren, Joseph C. Serviss Jr., Margaret Serviss and Amber Churchill; cousin, Linda Mackin of Rutland; aunt, Thelma Murphy of Pocasset, MA; and several additional cousins.
There will be no visiting hours.
The funeral service will be held Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012, at 1 p.m. in the United Methodist Church, in Rutland, with Reverend Deborah Estey, pastor, officiating.
Burial will be in the Vermont Veterans Cemetery in Randolph, at a later date.
Memorial contributions may be made to the United Methodist Church, 71 Williams St., Rutland, VT 05701, or to the Rutland Area Visiting Nurse Assoc. & Hospice, P.O. Box 787, Rutland, VT 05702.
The Tossing Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.