Police recover stolen itemsDecember 11,2012MONTPELIER — Vermont State Police say a search of a stolen car being used by a fugitive helped recover items stolen in Vermont and New Hampshire in recent months.
Police say 28-year-old Michael Hoehl repainted a stolen car four or five times so police wouldn’t recognize the vehicle, allegedly stolen from Rivendell High School in Orford, N.H., in October.
He was arrested Tuesday after police spotted the vehicle in Newbury. Troopers allegedly chased Hoehl into the woods and he displayed a handgun, but he was apprehended without injury.
The Burlington Free Press reported that when police searched the vehicle they found, among other items, GPS units, a radar detector, assorted professional sports collector cards, tools, a pocket watch, foreign currency, an antique chalice and a model of a 1955-era vehicle.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.