Suspect waives extradition to NMDecember 11,2012MONTPELIER — One of two New Mexico men who authorities say traveled to Vermont to murder two people has waived extradition and will be returned to New Mexico.
Forty-one-year-old Mark Staake is facing a fugitive from justice charge.
Police say Staake and his 23-year-old nephew, Tanner Ruane, were arrested in November at the U.S.-Canadian border in Highgate.
Ruane was initially released but arrested the following day in New York after authorities learned he was wanted for conspiracy to commit first-degree murder.
A New Mexico police affidavit says Dana Martin, a Vermont man serving a life sentence in New Mexico, sent Staake and Ruane to Vermont to kill two men. Police say Martin, who was convicted in the 2000 slaying of a 15-year-old girl in Barre, later notified authorities about the plot.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.