Proctor E. HallDecember 12,2012Proctor E. Hall
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Proctor Eugene “Rock” Hall, 79, died Sunday, Nov. 25, 2012, at the Fort Meade Veterans Center in Sturgis.
He was born in Ludlow, Vt., the son of Ethelyn (Wheeler) and Israel Balch Hall.
He graduated in 1952 from Black River High School in Ludlow where he was active in sports and music and used to ski on Okemo Mountain, before it became a ski resort.
After an Air Force career, Mr. Hall married and raised his family in South Dakota.
He was an avid hunter and fisherman and enjoyed the woods of Plymouth, Vt.
Survivors include his wife, Sharon, daughters Penny Darling and Jennifer Hall, and son Tom Hall, all of Rapid City; five grandchildren; a brother, Jay Hall of Vero Beach, Fla.; a sister, Pat Brown of Springfield, Vt.; many nieces and nephews.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.