Jules Rabinís predictably anti-Israel commentary (Dec. 16) makes a hideous comparison between Gazaís Hamas terrorists, committed to the annihilation of every man, woman and child in Israel, and the Jewish heroes of the Warsaw ghetto, who fought with dignity simply to live another day.
As to Mr. Rabinís lament that the death counts in the Gaza conflicts have been lopsided, well, then, hereís a solution heíll no doubt approve: Israel should stop protecting her citizens from the thousands of lethal missiles Gazans launch at them and, instead, should use her citizens as human shields, as is done by Hamas. Then more Israelis will die, and Mr. Rabin will be happier.
Dr. ROBERT A. ALPER
East DorsetMORE IN Perspective
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.