KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine — The state police dive team is using sonar to search for two boat-building students who went missing last week and whose clothing was found on an island near Kennebunkport, Maine.
The Maine Marine Patrol says two boats and an airplane were being used in Wednesday’s search for 21-year-old Zachery Wells of Burlington, Vt., and 23-year-old Prescott Wright of Barnstable, Mass.
They were last seen drinking beer with friends a week ago at Wells’ home near the Cape Porpoise pier. They both are students at The Landing School, a boat building and yacht design school in Arundel.
Searchers found pieces of clothing early Monday, and the search was suspended a day later. Police believe the men may have been kayaking or boating before they ended up on the island.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe former superintendent of the Caledonia Central Supervisory Union involved in the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.