BURLINGTON — A city councilor in Vermont’s largest city is responding to the recent school massacre in Connecticut by proposing a municipal ban on assault weapons with high-capacity ammunition clips.
Burlington City Councilor Norman Blais, a Democrat, is getting a mixed reaction from his fellow Council members. Two of them are urging that the city focus on better mental health counseling.
Blais is targeting the types of guns that Connecticut authorities say Adam Lanza used to kill 20 children and six staff members at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Dec.14. Lanza also killed his mother and himself.
Vermont law bars municipalities from adopting the sort of ordinance Blais is seeking, so the change would require action both in the city and the state Legislature.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.