WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A 51-year-old Vermont woman was ordered held without bail Thursday on a charge of second-degree murder in a Christmas night shooting of a 43-year-old man.
Anne-Marie Whiteway, of Bradford, is charged in the death of Dale Rock, who died of an apparent gunshot wound to the head at his home in the neighboring town of Newbury. She was arraigned Thursday in criminal court in White River Junction.
Police received a call shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday that multiple shots had been fired at Rock’s home and that a suspect had fled the scene in a car.
Thirty-three-year-old Stephanie Plante, who described herself as Rock’s girlfriend, told the Valley News that she witnessed the shooting. She said Whiteway arrived at Rock’s one-room structure and was acting erratically before the shooting.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Facing off in their last debate ahead of Tuesday’s midterm election, the top three... Full StorySHEFFIELD — Galway Kinnell — the former state poet laureate whose work used the landscape of... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.