Robert W. CranshawDecember 28,2012
Robert W. CranshawRobert W. Cranshaw
MANCHESTER — Robert W. Cranshaw died suddenly on Sunday, December 23, 2012, at his home at the Equinox Village in Manchester, VT.
He was born in Rochester, N.Y., on March 27, 1923, and was the only child of Albert Johnson and Elizabeth Hunger Cranshaw.
Bob served in the Army Air Corps at the end of WWII and later graduated from Syracuse University in 1947, with a BS in Engineering. While at college, Bob met his future wife, Elizabeth Jane Otto who survives him. Bob and Betty were married in 1947, and enjoyed 64 years of marriage.
Bob started his business career at Armstrong Cork Company in Lancaster, PA, and moved to Vega Industries in Syracuse, N.Y., in 1957. He retired as President and CEO in 1980. Bob was a long time Director of the Vermont Country Store in Manchester, VT.
Bob and Betty retired to Weston, Vermont, in 1980 and enjoyed a wonderful retirement in a state, town and home that they came to love dearly. Bob had many interests but in particular enjoyed his artwork, mainly painting and pen and inks. He also enjoyed fishing including many happy outings to the Thousand Islands region of the St. Lawrence River in Upstate New York. He was a former Board member of the Wantastiquet Trout Club in Weston, Vermont.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by his daughter Susan of Wimberley, Texas, son David and daughter-in-law Jane of Atlanta, GA, and son Bill and daughter-in-law Melanie of Simsbury, CT. He is also survived by grandsons John and Matthew Cranshaw of Atlanta, GA, and granddaughters Emily and Shelby Cranshaw of Simsbury, CT.
There will be a Memorial Service at Equinox Village in Manchester, VT, on January 12, 2013, at 2 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to Mountain Valley Medical Center in Londonderry, Vermont, or Manchester Health Services in Manchester Center, Vermont, c/o Brewster Funeral Services, P.O. Box 885, Manchester, VT 05255.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?