Christel M. GambinoDecember 28,2012Christel M. Gambino
GRANVILLE, N.Y. — It is with heartfelt sadness that we notify you of the passing of Christel M. Gambino, age 78, on December 21, 2012.
Christel was born on August 7, 1932, in Leverkusen, Germany. She was the daughter of the late Gertrude Kuepper Schrod.
Christel grew up in Germany and moved to the States in the 1960’s, living in New York City for several years. Around 1988, she moved to Vermont, where she fell in love with the beautiful scenery and peaceful atmosphere. She enjoyed traveling the country roads, and seeing her boyfriend, “Merck” forest.
Christel worked until her retirement in the Activity department at The Orchard Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre in Granville. She loved spending time with the residents, decorating for the holidays, and being around her co-workers, many of whom became her “family.”
Christel was an amazing person, caring, devoted to helping others, and always elegantly dressed. Left to cherish her memories are the many friends that she made throughout her journey in life, the residents and staff at The Orchard, and her “adopted” family.
At Christel’s request there will be no services. A memorial gathering will be held at the Orchard Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre, in Christel’s honor at a later date.
We would like to thank Dr. Eisemann and the staff at Rutland Regional Cancer Center, as well as the staff at The Orchards, for allowing Christel to fight her battle with cancer, with courage and dignity.
The Robert M. King Funeral Home, 23 Church St., Granville, was entrusted with handling Christel’s final arrangements.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.