US routs Germany 8-0 at junior hockey worldsThe Associated Press | December 28,2012AP Photo
Team USA forward Sean Kuraly scores past Germany goalie Marvin Cupper during the first period at the IIHF World Junior Championships hockey tournament in Ufa, Russia on Thursday.UFA, Russia — The United States routed Germany 8-0 Thursday at the world junior ice hockey tournament behind a goal and two assists each from Alex Galchenyuk and Riley Barber.
This was the first Group B game for the Americans, who are tied for first place with Canada.
The Canadians downed Germany 9-3 on Wednesday. The U.S. plays Russia today.
Also Thursday, Switzerland beat Latvia 7-2 in Group A.
U.S. goaltender John Gibson stopped 19 shots through two periods. He was replaced for the third by Jon Gillies, who made seven saves.
Sean Kuraly added a goal and an assist for the Americans. Goalie Marvin Cupper had 38 saves for the Germans.
The Americans were up 3-0 after the first period on goals by Kuraly, Jacob Trouba and Galchenyuk. They scored another three in the second — Barber, Shayne Gostisbehere and Ryan Hartman. J.T. Miller then scored on a solo effort midway through the third and Seth Jones completed the rout less than two minutes later.
Russia is third in Group B after beating Slovakia in overtime on Wednesday. Germany is in last place.
Earlier in Group A, Mike Kunzle scored two goals to help give Switzerland a winning start to the tournament.
Luca Boltshauser had 30 saves for Switzerland while Elvis Merzlikins had 25 for Latvia, which lost its second straight game.
Switzerland is tied for first at three points with Finland and Sweden in Group A. The Czech Republic is also in the group.
In Friday’s other preliminary-round games, it’s Finland vs. Czech Republic, Sweden vs. Switzerland and Canada vs. Slovakia.MORE IN Wire SportsDENVER — Next up for Peyton Manning: the NFL passing yardage record. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.