US routs Germany 8-0 at junior hockey worldsThe Associated Press | December 28,2012AP Photo
Team USA forward Sean Kuraly scores past Germany goalie Marvin Cupper during the first period at the IIHF World Junior Championships hockey tournament in Ufa, Russia on Thursday.UFA, Russia — The United States routed Germany 8-0 Thursday at the world junior ice hockey tournament behind a goal and two assists each from Alex Galchenyuk and Riley Barber.
This was the first Group B game for the Americans, who are tied for first place with Canada.
The Canadians downed Germany 9-3 on Wednesday. The U.S. plays Russia today.
Also Thursday, Switzerland beat Latvia 7-2 in Group A.
U.S. goaltender John Gibson stopped 19 shots through two periods. He was replaced for the third by Jon Gillies, who made seven saves.
Sean Kuraly added a goal and an assist for the Americans. Goalie Marvin Cupper had 38 saves for the Germans.
The Americans were up 3-0 after the first period on goals by Kuraly, Jacob Trouba and Galchenyuk. They scored another three in the second — Barber, Shayne Gostisbehere and Ryan Hartman. J.T. Miller then scored on a solo effort midway through the third and Seth Jones completed the rout less than two minutes later.
Russia is third in Group B after beating Slovakia in overtime on Wednesday. Germany is in last place.
Earlier in Group A, Mike Kunzle scored two goals to help give Switzerland a winning start to the tournament.
Luca Boltshauser had 30 saves for Switzerland while Elvis Merzlikins had 25 for Latvia, which lost its second straight game.
Switzerland is tied for first at three points with Finland and Sweden in Group A. The Czech Republic is also in the group.
In Friday’s other preliminary-round games, it’s Finland vs. Czech Republic, Sweden vs. Switzerland and Canada vs. Slovakia.MORE IN Wire SportsTORONTO — Armed with his best curveball of the season, Toronto Blue Jays left-hander J.A. Full StoryATLANTA — Jacob Turner allowed two runs in his bid for a permanent return to Miami’s rotation and... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?