Woman denies charge of trying to kill a police officerDecember 28,2012PROVIDED PHOTO
Jennifer BerubeA transient woman who allegedly tried to kill a Rutland police officer by cutting his throat with a knife was ordered jailed without bail Friday after she pleaded innocent to a charge of attempted murder.
Jennifer Berube, 39, didn’t speak during a brief appearance in Rutland criminal court in which she stood in chains while her attorney entered a denial on her behalf to a criminal charge that carries a potential lifetime prison sentence.
Judge Nancy Corsones scheduled a weight of the evidence hearing for next Thursday which will determine whether Berube will continue to be jailed without the option of release by bail.
Berube and her boyfriend John MacLean III, were arrested Thursday afternoon for allegedly trying to use a stolen credit card at businesses on North Main Street and Woodstock Avenue.
The pair was being booked on a number of petty offenses and probably would have been released with a citation to appear in court on a later date when Berube somehow obtained a multi-bladed knife and attempted to pull it across the throat of Officer Damon Nguyen who was on duty in the booking area, according to Rutland police Sgt. John Sly and court filings.
“If it wasn’t for the officer’s skill set, it would have been a totally different outcome,” Sly said. “The minute she laid hands on him, he responded and neutralized the situation.”
Instead of cutting across the officer’s throat the way Sly said she intended too, the blade left only a minor cut.
Nguyen was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center where he was treated and released.
Berube was also taken to the hospital after she was restrained by the officer and other members of the force who rushed to assist him.
During the struggle, Sly said the woman cut both hands on the knife she wielded.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?