Stella M. PoremskiDecember 29,2012
Stella M. PoremskiStella M. Poremski
FLORENCE — Stella M. Poremski, 92, died Thursday, December 27, 2012, at her home in Florence.
She was born on August 12, 1920, in Florence, VT, the daughter of Martin and Mary (Salwierz) Markowski.
She married Alphonse Poremski on October 26, 1940, at St. Stanislaus Church in West Rutland. He predeceased her on June 16, 2003.
Stella enjoyed flowers, gardening, reading and birds, but most of all she loved spending time with her family, her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
She is survived by two daughters, Louise Davis and her husband Ronald, and Barbara Champine; and one son, Alphonse.
(Sonny) Poremski and his wife Michelle, all of Florence; two sisters, Josephine Hancsarik of Hydeville, and Jean Meagher of Northport, FL; nine grandchildren; fifteen great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
Stella was predeceased by two sisters, Frances Smolinski and Pauline Sutkowski, and three brothers Albert, John and Peter Markowski.
There will be no calling hours.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated on Monday, December 31, 2012, at 10 a.m. at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church in Pittsford, immediately followed by a reception at St. Alphonsus Parish Hall.
Burial will be held at a later date in St. Alphonsus Catholic Cemetery.
For those who wish, memorial contributions in Stella’s memory may be made to St. Alphonsus Parish, 2918 US Route 7, Pittsford, VT 05763; or Rutland Health Foundation, RAVNA & Hospice, 433 West Street, Rutland, VT 05701.
Arrangements are being handled by the Barnard Funeral Home in Pittsford.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bill in Legislature proposes naming beagle Vermont state dog; Associated Press looks back at year in opiate abuse; Shapiro's in Brandon soon to close after 75 years; probe shows illegal online gun sales booming.