Maurice J. MintzerJanuary 01,2013
Maurice J. MintzerMaurice J. Mintzer
Maurice J. Mintzer, 85, of Tamarac, Fla., and formerly of Rutland, died Dec. 24, 2012, at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He was born in Rutland, Vt., May 22, 1927, son of Harry and Ethel (Unger) Mintzer. Maurice was a 1945 graduate of Rutland High School. He attended Rutland Junior College and graduated from the University of Vermont. He was a World War II U.S. Navy veteran.
Maurice was a longtime Rutland resident and a resident of Florida for the past several years. He owned and operated Rutland Waste and Metal Co. for many years. Maurice was a member of the Rutland Jewish Center, Italian American Club and Benevolent Protective Order of Elks.
An avid sports fan, Maurice loved attending local high school basketball and football games, along with pro sporting events. He was a fan of the N.Y. Yankees and N.Y. Giants. Playing poker with his friends was very special to him, along with going to the horse races. He was an excellent handicapper of thoroughbreds.
Maurice was a very caring and generous person. He contributed to numerous organizations and charities in the Rutland area. Local high school and sporting events were some of his favorites. He retired in Fla. and was unable to travel back and forth to his beloved Rutland. He did, however, return this year for his 65th RHS class reunion. He loved dogs, boxers being his favorite.
Surviving is a brother in-law, David Frazer and his wife Marilyn of Scottsdale, Ariz., and Davidís children, Douglas Frazer of Milwaukee, Wis., and Thomas Frazer of Sydney, Australia; a cousin, Toby Hantman and her husband Eugene of Tamarac, Fla.
He was predeceased by his parents; an aunt, Rose Weiss; and a sister, Joan Frazer, who died in 1999.
A funeral service will be held at 10:00 a.m. Jan. 4, 2013, at the Rutland Jewish Center in Rutland, Vt. Rabbi Douglas Weber and Rabbi Joan Chase will officiate.
Burial will follow in Rutland Jewish Cemetery in East Clarendon, Vt.
Condolences may be sent to David Frazer, 8048 East Via Costa, Scottsdale, AZ 85258.
Memorial contributions may be made to Joan M. Frazer Memorial Award for Judaism in the Arts, care of The Jewish Community Foundation, 12701 North Scottsdale Road, Suite 202, Scottsdale, AZ 85254.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Clifford Funeral Home in Rutland, Vt.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.