Leahy hails bill to help with rape DNA testsThe Associated Press | January 01,2013MONTPELIER - U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy is hailing Senate passage of legislation aimed at reducing the backlog of untested rape kits throughout the country.
The Vermont Democrat, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, co-authored an amendment to improve a program passed in 2004 to reduce the national backlog of rape evidence kits awaiting testing.
Leahy says large numbers of untested rape kits have languished at police departments, never making it to a crime lab. He says the new legislation is designed to give police agencies the tools they need to reduce backlogs.
Leahy worked on the bill with Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas.MORE IN This Just InIn the year since he was arraigned in the hit and run killing of a Mendon woman, former Rutland... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.