Leahy hails bill to help with rape DNA testsThe Associated Press | January 01,2013MONTPELIER - U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy is hailing Senate passage of legislation aimed at reducing the backlog of untested rape kits throughout the country.
The Vermont Democrat, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, co-authored an amendment to improve a program passed in 2004 to reduce the national backlog of rape evidence kits awaiting testing.
Leahy says large numbers of untested rape kits have languished at police departments, never making it to a crime lab. He says the new legislation is designed to give police agencies the tools they need to reduce backlogs.
Leahy worked on the bill with Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.