Police car hit in crashJanuary 01,2013CASTLETON — A Castleton police officer was involved in a hit-and-run crash Saturday evening after a Massachusetts man struck his cruiser on Route 4.
Castleton officer Justin Szarejko said he was on the westbound lane on Route 4 investigating a vehicle stuck in the median when Christopher Lundgren of Andover, Mass., lost control of his vehicle and hit Szarejko’s 2013 Ford Taurus Interceptor.
Szarejko said Lundgren initially pulled over, but when he was approached by Szarejko, he fled off of Route 4 via exit 5. He said Lundgren failed to stop at the intersection of exit 5 and East Hubbardton Road and crashed into the ledges.
Lundgren was arrested for leaving the scene of a crash and careless and negligent operation of a motor vehicle along with multiple traffic tickets. He will answer to the charges in Rutland criminal court at a later date.
No one was injured as a result of the crash.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Gas Systems puts Phase 2 on hold as the latest estimate for Phase 1 takes a 27 percent leap upward, to a total of $157 million; U.S. Attorney Tristram Coffin quits for job with private firm; police cite man in pot bust.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Christmas bombing of North Vietnam ordered by President Richard Nixon, most lethal strikes of the war; in 1989, U.S. invades Panama to depose, arrest and charge Gen. Manuel Noriega with drug trafficking, racketeering.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.