Fire breaks out in Bellows FallsStaff Report | January 02,2013
A structure fire in Bellows Falls broke out at 8 Island St., just before noon today.
The fire involved a commercial building as well as an auto repair shop and artist studios.
Bob Blodgett, who lives in Grafton, was working on his van in the auto repair shop at the time. He said gasoline from his van dripped into a drop light and ignited the fire.
Smoke filled downtown Bellows Falls as firefighters from Bellows Falls, Springfield, Rockingham, Westminster and Walpole, N.H., responded to the scene.
Red Cross volunteers also responded. Today is the 14th time local Red Cross volunteers have responded to the call for emergency assistance in the past two weeks.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Giles Corey of Salem, Mass., is pressed to death during the Salem witch trials; on this day in 1952, film comedian Charlie Chaplin, while traveling to England, is denied re-entry into the United States by U.S. attorney general.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Dutch father of microbiology Antonie van Leeuwenhoek discovers the existence of one-celled organisms; in 1967, The Doors are booked to play the Ed Sullivan show; in 1858, freedom fighter Dred Scott dies on this day in St. Louis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.