Rose M. TobiasJanuary 05,2013Rose M. Tobias
BENNINGTON — Rose Marie Tobias, 87, formerly of Poughkeepsie, N.Y., died Thursday, Jan. 4, 2013, at her home following a brief illness.
She was born Oct. 5, 1925, in Poughkeepsie, the daughter of Percey and Amelia (Becker) Brock.
She married Charles Tobias in Poughkeepsie on April 25, 1978.
Survivors include her husband; two sons, Robb Bower of San Diego, Calif., and Randolph Bower of New York; a daughter, Rose Mary McGuire of Northfield, N.H.; five step-children: C. Richard Tobias and James E. Tobias, both of St. Petersburg, Fla., Paul J. Tobias of Pavilion, N.Y., Jane T. Sleight of Arlington and Louisa, Va., and John P. Tobias of Pleasant Hill, Calif.; seven grandchildren; and a sister, Virginia Walsh of New Paltz, N.Y.
A memorial service will be held later in the spring.
Arrangements are under the direction of Mahar and Son Funeral Home in Bennington.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.