NH man charged with attempted assault at motelStaff Report | January 05,2013ROCKINGHAM — A 55-year-old New Hampshire man was arrested Friday in Claremont, N.H., on a Vermont warrant stemming from an incident at a Rockingham motel last month.
Vermont State Police said John Cotter of Charlestown, N.H., was arrested in connection with the Dec. 22 incident at the Rodeway Inn in Rockingham. Police said Cotter, armed with a large pipe, attempted to kick down the door of a motel room occupied by two people, ages 30 and 28, and their three young children, a 6-month-old, a 1-year-old and a 6-year-old.
Police said surveillance video showed a man, quickly identified as Cotter, armed with the pipe. Another man was with him and efforts are still under way to identify him.
Police said Cotter will face charges of attempted burglary of an occupied dwelling, unlawful mischief and numerous counts of simple assault.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.