NH man charged with attempted assault at motelStaff Report | January 05,2013ROCKINGHAM — A 55-year-old New Hampshire man was arrested Friday in Claremont, N.H., on a Vermont warrant stemming from an incident at a Rockingham motel last month.
Vermont State Police said John Cotter of Charlestown, N.H., was arrested in connection with the Dec. 22 incident at the Rodeway Inn in Rockingham. Police said Cotter, armed with a large pipe, attempted to kick down the door of a motel room occupied by two people, ages 30 and 28, and their three young children, a 6-month-old, a 1-year-old and a 6-year-old.
Police said surveillance video showed a man, quickly identified as Cotter, armed with the pipe. Another man was with him and efforts are still under way to identify him.
Police said Cotter will face charges of attempted burglary of an occupied dwelling, unlawful mischief and numerous counts of simple assault.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.