Police: Man suspected of attempted kidnappingTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS | January 05,2013WESTMINSTER — Vermont State Police are looking for a man suspected of trying to kidnap a girl waiting for a school bus in Westminster.
Troopers say they received a report of a suspicious man who pulled up to the girl on Friday morning and asked where her mother was and then tried to grab the child by the hand.
The suspect is described as a tall, slender man with possibly light brown hair and dark mustache. Police say he was driving a red pickup truck.
School officials say the student is fine and was able to return to her house.
Police are encouraging parents not to leave children unsupervised at bus stops and not to have them walk alone in isolated areas.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.