A jury was selected in U.S. District Court in Burlington on Tuesday to hear the first of a dozen new priest misconduct lawsuits against Vermont’s Catholic Church.
Lawyers are scheduled to offer opening statements at 10 a.m. today in a case in which a former Rutlander who now lives in California says he was 13 years old when the former Rev. Edward Paquette — the subject of 25 previous lawsuits and three past jury verdicts — sexually abused him in 1974.
Judge William Sessions III will preside over a jury of nine men and three women in a trial scheduled for the next week and a half. It comes three years after the state’s largest religious denomination paid more than $20 million to settle almost 30 other priest misconduct lawsuits.
Staff reportMORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?